Dirt and Dust. The silent, fluffy enemy of your electronic devices.
Many computers will work well for quite a few year without any routine maintenance. However, neglecting dirt and dust maintenance of your devices can wreck havoc on you favorite device if left unchecked. (Think back to the Nintendo cartridge days where you had to blow on a game to get it to work right.)
Were all guilty of letting dust and dirt get a little out of control from time to time. However, dirt and dust on electronic device can have the following negative effects:
- short circuit of electronic devices
- thermal blanketing formation that causes excessive heat and device failure
- spark ignition resulting in fire. Dust and Dirt build-up can act as kindling between circuits
To prevent the potential risk and hazards of dust and dirt build-up in your devices, take the following precautionary steps:
- Open access panels to your devices once every three to six months.
- Use a can of duster to blow away dust and debris from your electronics (also, if you prefer a greener and more reusable option…look for ESD safe vacuum tools that allow your to remove dust without the release of VOC and reoccurring purchase requirements)
- replace and secure access panels to promote proper airflow and future dust control inside of your device.
If you prefer to have a professional clean your device, then feel free to bring it in. Most times this is quick, easy and cheap. However, if your computer has serious crud and build from years of use without maintenance then pricing will vary based on cleanup requirements.